Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Bourbon Trail Dinner and Maxwell's Speakeasy

 
 
If you haven't guessed yet, I love me some bourbon. I'm not sure at what point in my life my tastebuds decided they were so hardcore and masculine but they have and I love it.
I also love good food.
I'm an appreciator of the arts and true culinary craft is like in art in itself.
 
This last week Maxwell's Speakeasy hosted a Bourbon Trail Dinner.
 
It's only natural that I took pictures. Here's some of my thoughts.......
 
 
Ahi Crudo over peppercorn spiced ice, radish and bibb salad and candied green peppercorn vinaigrette.

This was not only delicious but the presentation was unique and flavorful. Spiced ice? Yes, a delectable peppercorn infused sheet of ice imitated a chilled salad plate keeping the ahi and sald chilled while adding some serious pepper flavor to the dish. Paired with Elijah Craig, the pepper really popped in your mouth accompanied with the warmth of the bourbon.

Chipotle Hummus, roasted corn and bourbon jam, fresh basil, avocado, sea salt and toasted naan bread.
 
Most certainly my favorite pairing of the evening. While the hummus had a nice heat to it the stand out of this dish was the corn and bourbon jam. Seriously ridiculous. A touch of sweetness with the roasted corn hints made me want to smother this jam on just about any future meal I consume. Period. Paired with Four Roses Small Batch, a bourbon I have yet to be introduced to until this dinner. I'm a new fan. Not too bold with nice hints of cinnamon, vanilla and oakiness. mmmm. In my mouth pronto.

Cajun Potato Chip, creme fraiche, salmon roe and fresh chives.

This little delight left me wanting a basket full. Certainly the most dapper dressed chip I've had the pleasure of nibbling on. The creme was rich and creamy balancing the spice from the tater. SO good. It's partner in crime was the Jim Beam Devil's Cut apparently named after a term called the "angels share" that happens during the distilling proccess. Apparently Kid Rock and the head honcho of Jim Beam are homies...why does this not surprise me. Kid Rock is responsible for this brown liquors name. Yup.


Pocini rubbed fillet, warm endive and tomatoes, granny smith apple slaw, backcountry alpine bleu cheese, mint vinaigrette and rye bread crumbs.

This filet was cooked to perfection with an amazing flavor combination, not a single aspect of the dish was what made it but rather the union and seasoning as a whole. Not usually on Maxwell's menu, it absolutely should be. I daydream of this morsel of tender, meaty goodness. It was so good it convinced me that Wild Turkey 101 isn't an angry beast of a shot and quite nice even. The red meat served the bourbon pairing well.

Sorbet, I believe it was a citrus and pineapple flavor.

Simple palate refresher. It's presentation in the cutest little dessert/martini glass and weespoon was just...darn cute.

Espresso and Cinnamon Rubbed Seared Duck Breast, ginger carrot puree, crispy tarragon and orange oil.

I absoutely adore duck as an entree. While the duck was tasty with it's flavor infused crisp sear the ginger carrot puree was AMAZING. Give me some of the corn bourbon jam and ginger carrot puree and I'd walk away a happy camper. Paired with Makers 46 this duo was elegant and smooth. It was a dim the lights, sexy kind of pairing.

Smoked Chocolate Pate, bacon lardons, toasted marcona almonds, sea salt and grilled baguette.

Chocolate and bacon are heaven sent. Those are two of my favorite things of all time after my children and husband. No joke. Put them together and how can you lose!? The smoked chocolate flavor was rich and conjured memories of campfire and that delightful charred marshmellow layer. Also on my favorite list after my children, husband, chocolate and bacon? Woodford Reserve. Match made in heaven. Chris is not a dessert kind of fella and while he loved the pate he didn't finish it....darn, means I needed to, I'd hate for that to go to waste. :)

Grilled Peach and a Vanilla Bean Basil Granita, pink peppercorn white balsamic gastrique.

This was a divine finale to the evening. While the basil granita may have been intimidating to look at presented in a shot glass of deep green ice stuff, it was damn tasty. I love sweet and herbal infused drinks and desserts and this was a winner. I could have taken a 32 ouncer of it. Partnered with Woodenville Whiskey it was delightful. With each dish the bourbon helped to amplify compelling flavor components successfully. Bravo!

1 comment:

  1. You have such a way with words. And take excellent photos. My mouth is now watering. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete