Saturday, September 1, 2012

The MANHATTAN Project: Maxwell's, Keeping it Classy

It hardly seems fair to cover Maxwell's twice in a month's time but what can I say, I dig the place. Charming, candlelit and some of the best craft cocktails in Tacoma. Former bartendress Lilliana Franz (Johnson) concocts tasty, flavorful and adventurous adult beverages that include house infused spirits and rarely seen liquors.


 
Naturally the Maxwell's Manhattan is no exception. This tasty potion earned a spot on the top 5 cocktails in Tacoma in the Weekly Volcano (while Maxwell's Paris on a Shoestring earned an honorable mention with it's vanilla vodka, earl grey infused vodka and agave syrup).
 
Woodford Reserve, cocchi vermouth and sage extract stirred and topped with a luxardo cherry.
 
Divine.

Woodford Reserve is smooth and oaky making it very nice for a manhattan since there's no mixer to take the edge off.
The sage extract is mild, without knowing of it's presence it may go unnoticed, but entertains a slight earthy note to the cocktail.

My partner in crime, also known as my husband seemed like a natural subsitute for a drinking buddy but sucks as far as reviews go...he likes booze, this is a good drink. That's about all he had to offer on the subject. Now get him on the subject of tequila or sports and he's sure to chime in his fair share of the conversation.

The only criticism I can offer of this cocktail is that I like my manhattans shaken. Tiny ice particles serve to keep the drink chilled and dilutes it just a touch so that I can take big sips rather than little ones. In turn making it a much shorter journey to that delectably rich cherry awaiting me at the bottom.

Have you tried this manhattan or the one previously mentioned? Share with me your thoughts. No need to be a booze snob...just a lovva of the bourbon/whiskey.

No comments:

Post a Comment