Friday, May 18, 2012

Art Bus and More

At a certain point in my life I came to the realization that I wanted my children to know a sense of community.

To really know what that word meant.

We throw the word around often as a society. Community. But when it really comes down to it how many of us are participating to help it grow? What ideals do you wish and want and hope we carry as a whole as people that is lacking? I know we can all list what we'd like to see. How we'd love our city to grow, culminate art, music, literature, education....

At some point in life I decided that I was going to stop just thinking about these ideals and enforcing them in my home only, as though that was all that was in my power and start doing something.
I wanted to be a player not a spectator.
It's amazing how life works. You make a decision. You take the first step and that first step leads to another. You're walking, then you get into a steady trot until you are full on booking it.

I haven't reached running pace yet but I intend to.

It began with purchasing art, going to local shows, volunteering some shifts at our local community art center, and attending all of the local festivals. I don't go to all of the hip parties because I'm hip. (If you know me, you know this to be true) I like to support the arts. To do that you must do one of three things.

1. Make art. I do not do this because to be quite frank, I'm no good at it.
2. Promote art. Can't afford art? Pass it on. Social networking is a great aid in this. See an artists whose work moves you? I betcha he/she has a facebook page, twitter, etc. "Like", Follow~you'll get news on new shows, sales and events and can then share with your friends.
3. BUY art. Art doesn't have to be this unattainable thing. Prices will vary but the value is always the same: priceless. Surround yourself with art. It's good for the soul and insures that the artists can continue to make art. Art doesn't have to be a painting. It can be a pair of earrings, a sculpture, a magnet, a pillow, a photo, a book, music......the medium may change.

Want to see change? Growth? Positivity?

Get out there and make it happen. Take a step.

Now here are some photos from last nights Art Bus tour with Mayor Marilyn Strickland. Thanks to Miss Angela Jossy for bringing me one step closer to my running pace by recruiting me as an "assistant" of sorts.


LeRoy Jewelers/Art Stop


lots and lots of dog and cat bowls for auction for the Arf! event

Piece of cake

Wright Park Conservatory. A little piece of zen right in the middle of a city



Jewell Day Spa.

B2 Gallery

really a perfect walk to the bus.










No comments:

Post a Comment