Sunday, May 20, 2012

Moscow Mules, an adventure in drinking

Boy, have I been missing out or what?!

Moscow Mule as Wikipedia states is: "a buck or mule cocktail made with vodka, ginger beer and lime which was popular during the vodka craze in the United States during the 1950s. The name refers to the popular perception of vodka as a Russian product."

This tasty little beverage is one that I don't think I'd heard of until recently (according to the interwebs it's a "classic"). It was a complete mystery to me in all of my experience bartending until a regular at my current booze slinging establishment suggested that we add it to our summer menu.

I must say, I like this suggestion.

I googled it, because if you've ever had just about any "classic" cocktail there is a basic recipe though variations may occur. The base tends to look as followed,

Ingredients:

  • 1 3/4 oz vodka
  • 1/2 oz lime juice
  • ginger beer
  • lime wedge for garnish
Ginger beer is non alcoholic in most cases and can be found in the soda/mixer section of any grocery store. It's pretty darned tasty. Similar to ginger ale though less sweet.



Some variations of the recipe include mint, simple syrup or rum but I think sometimes it's just best to keep it simple. More ingredients does not equate to better, you're just being difficult. :)

I challenge you to try mixing one up at home and share your thoughts. Great for our next summer-y day with some bbq'd chicken dontcha think?





No comments:

Post a Comment