Thursday, November 29, 2012

Manhattan Project: 1022, Cocktail Kings of Tacoma


Hello again,
Another overdue post and we are back on the Manhattan track.

In our bourbon adventure we couldn't very well NOT visit 1022 South. As anyone who has been knows, or really anyone interested in reading about the flavors of the Grit City, 1022 has a reputation for unique concoctions, house infused spirits, house-made....well everything save for the spirits.
While their booze list is impressive, lots of small batch options are available making your really drink outside of the mainstream comfort zone. Please ma'am step away from the Makers/Crown/Jim.
When my cocktail partner in crime and I arrived I simply asked for a Manhattan, knowing the reputation of 1022 I was confident that bartender/owner Chris Langston wouldn't steer me wrong.
He took the usual care setting a delightfully chilled Manhattan in front of us.
When I inquired what he made it with he shot back with a snarky, "bourbon, some bitters and a little vermouth." Maybe snarky isn't quite the word for it. It had a level of charm.
But duh, (OHHHHH, reaaaaaaally, Jesus all this time I had no idea what the hell I was drinking.)
More specifically Black Maple Hill Bourbon, a new one to me and damn tasty, smooth, earthy with nice hints of cherry if I recall though that could have been me swirling my garnish. It was surprisingly smooth, a perfect beverage to swirl, sip, contemplate and simply take in the evenings vibe.
Even Tiffany enjoyed it.....
 


As she states nicely~~"So the Manhattan we imbibed at the 1022 is a bit closer to the“hipster” Flynn we tasted at Marrow last time around; same level, but not the same classification. It was smoother; a little closer to that dessert flavor than a traditional M and the finish was nice. It sat in the Friend Zone for me at the beginning of the evening, but by the end I was like “Hmm, I guess I could take it home.” The 1022’s Manhattan was comfortably attractive and I was pleasantly surprised."

"Comfortably attractive" for those who don't know are the likes of my dream mister (save for my hubs) John Cusack and those types. Comfortable. Charming. Attractive but not too much so. Sometimes not everyone's cup of tea (or glass of Manhattan) but for some of us (like the two of us) can be damn sexy.
This Manhattan manages that.


Overall it was a delightful number, well worth ordering even among the flamboyant characters on the specialty menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment