Friday, April 13, 2012

Diggin on some Gotye


Oh Gotye. First off seeing him perform at Showbox SODO, essentially a large garage, was great. It's exciting to see a band live in an intimate atmosphere.

With Gotye in mind I feel one of two things: A. He's a one hit wonder. A talented one but one all the same, which would explain why half of my friends and associates have not the foggiest idea who he is or, B. We are ahead on the times on this one, in 3 years he will be playing somewhere like the Key Arena and people will be all stoked. I'll be the wise old broad, "been there, done that."

After seeing him live I'm going to go ahead and say it's the latter of the two.

 You hear a lot about how Gotye sounds like Sting or Peter Gabriel. That's because he does, though that doesn't negate his artistic uniqueness (this is a man who was inspired by a piece his father's art from the 80's  that graces the cover of his "Making Mirrors" album). His song in the US you MAY have heard is "Somebody That I Used to Know" featuring his opening act, the poppy Kimbra.


He reminds me of a male (and less freaky version) of Bjork. Artistic and always evolving. His songs have a common factor but none are the same (think Godsmack or 311, I can't tell one song from the other sometimes it is all very much them over and over and over again). Adding synthesizers, drums to his repertoire he's active on stage, the man can rock the eff out and his Australian accent doesn't hurt his appeal either.  
This may be my favorite, for now.


Off the subject of the man himself, people watching at concerts is rad. Some people are genuinely moved by music. I've been brought to tears by both Radiohead and Heart, for different reasons of course, but I am not a dancer. Noted by my soulmister, he appreciates that, neither is he. We love music but dancing is not "our thing". I can appreciate someone shaking their groovethang with passion, heck I've seen a guy give himself a bloody nose with his antics. Do your thing buddy, let the music move you.
Now watching people feign getting caught up in the music is a different beast entirely and quite entertaining as well. Especially when you add a bourbon or two (this could apply to both the "dancer" or myself). :)

Ok, off for now, the toddler beckons.

2 comments:

  1. I am one of those dancer people. Big time.

    Years ago I saw Nirvana open for sonic youth at the Moore. I was one of a handful of people on their foot moving!

    I didn't even care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Northwesterners by nature are not dancers I've noticed. I'm not sure our aversion to it. But I love to witness others in their experience of the music.

      Delete